The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Going Mobile

Toronto Hydro plans to turn the entire downtown core into a giant wireless Internet hotspot!!! For the full story, go here.

In anticipation of this event, I got myself a handheld device with Wi-Fi capability. I felt it was high time I entered the 21st century.

The choice of handheld came down to either the Palm TX or the Dell Axim X51. At CNET, the Palm TX is highly rated by both the editors and users: 8.0 and 7.3, respectively. The Axim X51 gets 7.4 and 5.9, respectively. The more expensive X51v scores a little better with users (6.4).

Reading the user reviews of the Axim is very revealing. Apparently, Windows Mobile 5.0 is very buggy – par for the course from Microsoft. Moreover, the X51v has an absurdly short battery life, probably due to the 624 MHz processor (the faster the clock speed, the greater the battery drain).

I chose the Palm TX for several reasons:

1. It's much more stable than the Axim X51. Stay away from Windows Mobile 5.0!

2. It's much cheaper than the Axim. I bought the Palm TX for $345. Dell charges $499 for the X51v and $399 for the X51 (it was recently on sale for $359).

Oh, and by the way, the $399 X51 has a puny 240x320 LCD. The Palm has 480x320, a much nicer screen.

3. The Palm TX supports the Apple Mac platform. Windows Mobile does not. I use my Palm with my iMac G5.

4. It has excellent battery life. It looks a lot nicer too (great industrial design!).

5. The strength of its reviews. According to reviews, the Axim X51 is rubbish.

So, if you're looking for a Wi-Fi handheld, the Palm TX is the only product on the market worth your consideration.

1 Comments:

Blogger Darkest Knight said...

The Hewlett-Packard iPaq is not worth considering, either. They're too expensive for what you get.

At Futile Shop, the $349 iPaq 1950 has only 32MB of RAM and 64MB of ROM. The $549 iPaq 2490 has 64MB of RAM and 128MB of flash ROM.

My Palm TX has 128MB of RAM and 128MB of flash ROM for $345. Do the math.

And, of course, the iPaqs run Windows Mobile 5.0.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home