The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Monday, November 13, 2006

OOD and OOP

The only obstacle to Smalltalk adoption is that people are not comfortable with pure Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). Smalltalk demands that you think entirely and purely in terms of objects and classes. You need to feel totally comfortable with object-oriented design. Hence, the reason I’m reading Chamond Liu’s book “Smalltalk, Objects, and Design.”

I love this book!! It is so well-written, so easy to read, and so elucidating. It may well be the best book on Smalltalk and object-oriented design ever written!

I’m paying a lot of attention to this book because I feel that I need to establish my mindset in a totally and purely object-oriented way. I have to eat, sleep, and think objects and classes. For over twenty years, procedural programming has been drilled into my consciousness, and I’ve got to completely shake that.

I believe that if you establish this object-oriented mindset and then practice with the Smalltalk class library, you will quickly become proficient. Smalltalk is the perfect OOP language, much more so than Ruby or Java or C++.

I highly recommend Chamond Liu’s book. Well worth the purchase price: Amazon.ca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home