The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Homo Hostilis

Indeed, we live in a very violent world. And when attacked, we need to defend ourselves. But at the same time, we need to try to follow the path of love and compassion.

Here’s a question to ponder: If the nature of our violent world compels us to continually wage war, how will Homo Hostilis ever evolve beyond his violent nature? Are we condemned to never-ending violence in our civilization? How do we break this vicious cycle?

We have learned nothing since the last just and necessary war (WWII). Was the Korean War necessary? Was the Vietnam War necessary? Was the war in Haiti necessary? The war in Grenada? Was the first Gulf War necessary? And now you argue that the Iraq War is necessary. My, my, so many necessary wars!

In your worldview, we are condemned to eternal violence. Somebody has to step up and be the hero. Somebody has to try and break the cycle. If not you, then who?

R


On 4/17/06 8:35 AM, "Sobotic Research" wrote:

While you are at it I would also love to hear what course you would suggest to stop the hordes of Atilla the Hun or Genghis Khan or Alexander or Pizarro?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home