The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Penguins in the Arctic

I have a pet peeve...

I hate it when people think penguins live in the Arctic. This misconception is so rampant that I have to dispel it with all my might:

National Geographic reference

Athropolis reference

What spurred this rant were two things:

  1. The Coca-Cola commercial that shows polar bears (indigenous to the Arctic) cavorting with penguins.
  2. My neighbour down the street whose Christmas decorations on his front lawn shows a penguin dressed up as Santa.

I’m sure you can list other examples of this misconception.

So let me clear this up for you in no uncertain terms:

Polar bears live in the Arctic.

Penguins live in the Southern hemisphere and Antarctica.

And never the twain shall meet!

Got it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home