The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Cringely's 2006 Predictions

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060112.html

7) Microsoft still sucks at security and users suffer for it. My best guess is they are planning on putting all this new technology in the "next" operating system, which seems to be yet another year behind schedule. The important question the world will soon be asking -- "Do we need another Windows operating system?" In 2006, Windows XP gets another service pack and/or facelift. Nothing more.

I think this is a good bet. Microsoft are tripping all over themselves trying to put back all that they took out before – they know that Vista can’t compete with the likes of OS X “Leopard” on the basis of some cosmetic changes.


10) Embedded devices will hurt Media Center PC sales, which will continue to be pitiful.

Windows Media Center is not selling well?! Quel surpris! Who’d want to use Windows as their home entertainment media hub??


13) Google WON'T go head-to-head with Microsoft for a desktop operating system or a cheap PC.

I hope Cringely is wrong on this one. A “Google PC” could hurt Microsoft in a big way. I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me--as you left her--marooned, for all eternity, in the center of a dead planet: buried alive.

- Khan Noonian Singh in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home