The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Vista Pricing, Part 2

In the United States, CompUSA offers Windows Vista, as well as other Operating Systems, at the following prices:

Vista Ultimate: $400
Vista Ultimate Upgrade: $260

Vista Home Premium: $240
Vista Home Premium Upgrade: $160

Now look at Mac OS X Tiger (which is most comparable to Vista Ultimate): $130

So Vista Ultimate = OS X and you pay 3X as much for Vista? Thanks, but no thanks.


Compare Vista with a variety of Linuxes:

Linspire: $60
Xandros Desktop: $70
openSUSE: free
Ubuntu: free

Even "OEM" versions of Vista (at half-price) are overpriced compared to OS X and Linux!

Anyone who pays retail for Vista should have the word "Sucker" emblazoned on his forehead...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would suggest Vista is not for installing on existing computers. I should imagine the ability to do that would tax most normal people; rather it's to buy a whole new computer system with it already installed.

Personally I already ditched windows on two machines and installed Ubuntu.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home