The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Google Apps

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2097926,00.asp

Joe Wilcox has done an excellent analysis of Google Apps versus Office:

Microsoft Watch article

Whether the head or the tail, Google benefits from good timing. By redesigning the Office user interface, Microsoft has created another barrier to switching from old Office suites and increased costs along the way. Businesses will have to budget for work disruption, extra training and increased support calls, if switching to Office 2007. These kinds of costs have long been a barrier to businesses considering switching to competing productivity suites. Now the costs apply to Office, too. Google's interface is loads more familiar because it resembles the older Office motif.


I'm switching to Google apps. I don't want to pay the absurd price for Office 2007, and at the moment OpenOffice.org doesn't quite work under Windows Vista.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home