The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Movie Review: Disturbia

I saw this film on a lark. What I found was that it’s pretty much a teenage flick, ie, it’s directed at teenagers. Quite formulaic and predictable. It has a few good moments, but on the whole it’s just an okay movie.

The story basically centres around a 17-year-old named Kale (played by Shia LaBeouf) who’s under house arrest for assaulting his Spanish teacher. He wears an electronic ankle bracelet that limits his freedom to within 100 feet of his house.

He learns that one of his neighbours (played by David Morse) may be a serial killer. He’s aided in his investigation by his friend Ronnie (Aaron Yoo) and a new neighbour named Ashley whom Kale has a crush on. Ashley is played by the very comely Sarah Roemer.

Performances are generally good. Carrie-Anne Moss (as Kale’s mother) has all-too-brief a role but it’s good to see her anyway. David Morse is especially creepy—he’s quite good in such roles (12 Monkeys; 16 Blocks; The Green Mile).

Shia LaBeouf is very good. And I think I shall fantasize about Sarah Roemer this evening.


I have to make a comment about product placement. Early in the movie, we see Kale using a MacBook Pro laptop. Okay, that’s fine. This family is obviously well-to-do, even though Carrie-Anne Moss balks at paying $12 a day for the incarceration fee (presumably for the ankle bracelet).

But later on, we see a Mac Pro workstation sitting underneath the desk in his bedroom. Shit, what 17-year-old kid has a Mac Pro??? Even I can’t afford one!

So Kale has both a MacBook Pro AND a Mac Pro? Why? Why does he need so much computing power? To do his book reports and algebra homework?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home