The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Whoa Starts Now


Sorry, I… I gave Vista a real chance. I just can't use it as my primary OS anymore. It's NOT horrible at its core (by any stretch of the imagination). If all of your hardware and software are fully baked, you're good to go - but that's not the world I live in. I will continue to recommend Windows Vista for some users, mind you. I wish I could take
the best parts of Vista and bring them back with me to XP. I'm still more than willing to help Microsoft improve Windows and get the message out to users, but I simply can't sacrifice my own time and productivity without benefits in clear sight. I'm begging Microsoft and all of my hardware and software vendors to make Windows better for me. Until then…

The Whoa starts now.

This guy echoes many of the same kinds of problems I've had with Vista. He's had problems with webcams and Windows Movie Maker. Me, too. He's experienced weird quirks now and then. Me, too.

Unlike Chris Pirillo (a former TechTV host), I won't give up Vista just yet. But I understand his sentiments. Yes, the Whoa starts now...

-----

On a related note, Dell is going to bring back Windows XP on some of its computer products. Why? Because of demand from the public. Apparently, so many people are disappointed with Vista and fearful of its compatibility problems that they're insisting on OS alternatives. Microsoft can't be happy about this.

This may also explain why Dell is going to start preloading Linux on some of its machines. My bet is that they will settle on Ubuntu Linux, because even Michael Dell is running Ubuntu at home: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5149877302.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home