The rantings of a beautiful mind

On life, society, and computer technology.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I live in the Fortress of Solitude. I drive the Silver Beast. My obsession is justice. I used to be a Windows software developer. I retired in 2000 when my stock options helped me achieve financial security.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Studying Smalltalk

This weekend, I began studying Smalltalk in earnest. Because I’m using Cincom’s VisualWorks (basically, this is the original Smalltalk from ParcPlace/Xerox PARC), I’m focusing on materials that deal directly with VisualWorks. So, for example, I’m starting with the following tutorials:

Cincom VisualWorks Tutorials

I’m also looking at the following books:

Smalltalk by Example: The Developer’s Guide (Featuring VisualWorks), by Alec Sharp, McGraw Hill, 1997.

Smalltalk: An Introduction to Application Development using VisualWorks, by Trevor Hopkins and Bernard Horan, Pearson Education, 1995.

I don’t know how good these books are. I’ll let you know in a couple of months. (BTW, they’re FREE from http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html )


I’m having fun! I’m starting to get into it, actually moving away from television!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home